FUNimation Entertainment Starts Stealth War on Anime Fans

Funimation has started what appears to be a new wave of DMCA attacks against anyone and everyone that uses google…

See this and this and this as just some examples.

These complaints are designed to have google de-list all of the urls in the complaint, take a look at some of those links, Nyaa ok is to be expected, but forums and ebay ?

Further, doing a search on ChillingEffects.org for ‘Funimation’ brings up a total of 54 such complaints.

Google seems relativly happy to simply comply, meaning Funimation can simply keep de-listing bits of the internet as they see fit.

Quite how Funi expects this to help them sell anime is beyond me, and seems to only damage them, if people cant even post or discuss the very product they want to sell, how are we supposed to know it exists in the first place?

Edit: Also take a look at this notice how CrunchyRoll and facebook are also listed.

9 Comments »

1. samthebear Said,

September 17, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

fansub is listed too it seems. I guess that’s just how licensing companies make their money. By making sure no one else promotes it /sarcasm

2. Nioki Said,

September 17, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Well, Facebook is kinda obvious as well… but CrunchyRoll? What? How did that happen? XD

3. lavenderdays Said,

September 17, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

Jesus, http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_REkgXByDyuU/S6oedAOQteI/AAAAAAAAGlI/KwD2f-zC9eU/s1600/impliedfacepalm-ba.jpg Beside the fact of the ridiculousness their so called “stealth warfare” against anime fans. Trying to Censor the internet is even much more so stupid actually scratch that, this is one of the most dumbest thing I ever heard Personally.

4. Kid-Wolf Said,

September 20, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

Ah I think it’s Funi’s way for trying to get people to comment about thier stuff on thier site andf thier site alone it would seem. The up side is they get more traffic, but the down side is some anime serie get lost in the cracks since most title s are something people never heard of if they didn’t watch the fansu of it before. *roll eyes*

5. warita200 Said,

September 23, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Thats ridiculous…. not only they dont have any right to force google to alter the search queries, but they also block access to the anime material for people outside USA. WTF????

It would seem that Funanimations market coverage is now the entire planet. Cooooooool, thats what happens when google doesnt want to be dragged into any court disputes.

6. Kid-Wolf Said,

September 23, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

Indeed, it’s pretty much to the point of where if the Japanese sites get hit with this rush Funi is then I’m sure that it’ll end up with major backlash on Funi for overstepping thier bounds. Heck if th elocals can’t get any info about a series that they want to watch then there’s an issue brewing here.

7. warita200 Said,

September 28, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Well, yes and no. The japanese sites are partially protected by the fact, that their sites are in japanese and not on english. Looking throught the list of banned search queries, I noticed that the crushing majority of the banned links were english based.

I read somewhere, that the anime industry in japan isnt really interested in retailing anime outside Japan so much. If they were interested in turning anime mainstream world wide, they would have a different distribution policy. They charge a fortune for distribution rights outside japan, take it or leave it. They dont even bother to pursue copyright infridgments outside japan. So, I dont think they will get into a conflict with funanimation…. sadly.

8. Kit-Tsukasa Said,

October 11, 2011 @ 1:35 am

I find it funny that the forums are listed as “illegal.” Since when was talking about an anime illegal? May as well just stop selling it here.

Funimation has been getting too pushy lately. Their library is growing thin despite picking up all those titles in the past 3 years (a lot of which have yet to see a release date), they’ve lost parent company support, and worst off, they’re trying to deal with legal issues rather than focusing on a major component of their business, i.e. selling their merchandise. I’d worry more about the piracy once you become a stable company, not before. Not to mention, the anime industry is nowhere near a significant size of the rest of the US entertainment industry, making it less of a concern for the US government at the moment as it doesn’t influence the economy in a significant manner. You can push all you want, but at the end of the day, when you’re nothing but an insect like company, no one is going to care about you.

Looking at Sentai Filmworks, Media Blasters, Aniplex, Viz, Bandai, NIS etc… I’m sure they’re all just as furious about piracy issues, but they at least have their head on straight. Sentai may be selling some crappy products but at least it’s getting on to the market. The rest of the companies are playing the “quiet man’s game” and just picking up stuff as a go. Granted that Funimation doesn’t have anything but dvds/BDs to sell, they’re quite similar to Sentai and Aniplex, so I don’t see what Funimation’s logic is right now in terms of their actions. They’ve lost a lot of opportunities to pick up major titles this year and they’re only driving themselves deeper into the ground by picking a theoretically “impossible” fight.

9. Maiku_Ando Said,

November 15, 2011 @ 11:06 pm

I agree, I keep trying to like Funi, I mean as they are releasing some titles I want, but they just keep doing things to push the fans away. I can’t understand why they are taking this action, its almost like they are trying to upset fans and/or drive themselves under. I’m not happy they let Zero no Tsukaima go either, I got the DVD box set, but looks like theres no hope of the 2nd – 4th series being picked up.

The other thing is I don’t much like Sentai either, they are the spawn of ADV films, owned by the same original owner, and I know their UK operation is made up of the original ADV staff as well. As far as I am concerned, they owe me money, and not just me but ‘several hundred’ according to one of their staff who admitted that when they ceased trading, a lot of open orders just got dropped – after the money was taken. So you wont see me – or my friends who are in the same boat – buying from Sentai unless really desparate, and even then it would be from a retailer, not them directly.

Aniplex however I’m really starting to like, their BDs in Japan now coming with English subs, yes its insanely priced, but special edition box set and it has subs? I love it. I’m getting the whole of season 1 of Dog Days from AmiAmi.

RSS feed for comments on this post